Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Thick and Chewy Chocolate - Chocolate Chip Cookies



Yesterday was indeed National Chocolate Chip Day and I had to bake something! I had these limited edition mini morsels in my cabinet in the colors pink and yellow had been wanting to use them. I picked them up from target around the end of April (in case you are wondering where I found them). 


I immediately thought of some yummy thick and chewy chocolate chip cookies. I have tried this recipe before here and it came out pretty good. I decided to try it again and see if they could be a little thicker and a little more chewy - with out having to microwave them to make softer and gooey. So I followed the same recipe only not splitting the dough in half to make 2 different flavors. And I added about 3 1/2 tbsp of Hershey's Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder. 

As you are working with the dough, warm hands cause the dough to get loose and melt some. So I used a metal pan for my final mixing pan and put it in the freezer for a few to keep it cold and from melting. This works a lot better when trying to get them thick and chewy. I went to place them on the pan, I followed the directions for rolling into a ball, then I came back around and made them tall balls. Then threw the whole pan in the freezer to make them stiffer.

 You let them bake at 325 degrees (I did 300 because of my darker pans) for 11 - 14 minutes. I recommend 12 1/2 minutes. When they come out of the oven, they look so delicious. I could tell these were going to be better than when I made them the first time. It will be really hard not to eat an entire pan that is still fresh and warm :-)


 They came out perfect. After cooling completely the chocolate chips are still soft and gooey and the whole cookie is thick and chewy! Love it!!


Here is the recipe:

Thick And Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients
2 cups plus 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
12 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled until warm
1 cup brown sugar, packed
½ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions
Adjust oven racks to upper and lower-middle positions.  Preheat oven 325°.  Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Whisk dry ingredients together in a medium bowl; set aside.  With electric mixer, or by hand, mix butter and sugars until thoroughly combined.  Beat in egg, yolk, and vanilla until combined.  Add dry ingredients and beat at low-speed just until combined.  Stir in chocolate chips.

Roll a scant half-cup of dough into a ball.  Holding dough ball in fingertips of both hands, pull apart into two equal halves.  Rotate halves 90 degrees and, with jagged surfaces facing up, place formed dough onto cookie sheet, leaving ample room between each ball. As you are working with the dough, warm hands cause the dough to get loose and melt some. So I used a metal pan for my final mixing pan and put it in the freezer for a few to keep it cold and from melting. This works a lot better when trying to get them thick and chewy. I went to place them on the pan, I followed the directions for rolling into a ball, then I came back around and made them tall balls. Then threw the whole pan in the freezer to make them stiffer.  Bake, reversing position of cookie sheets halfway through baking, until cookies are light golden brown and outer edges start to harden yet centers are still soft and puffy (approximately 11-14 minutes).  Do not over bake.

Cool cookies on sheets until able to lift without breaking.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
What I did differently, in RED

Sources: Found on Annie's Eats and adapted from Baking Blonde, original from Baking Illustrated

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails