Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Breakfast goodness!



I decided to try these French Breakfast puffs because I had been CRAVING something sweet the day before and was trying my best to fight off the sweet craving. I SO gave in and the sweet tooth won. Just to let you guys know, I am a queen for eating fresh baked sweets. All this working out and stuffing my face with sweets - Something is wrong here! I need "Sweet" therapy!

These puffs were sooo delicious. Melt in your mouth goodness. I liked that they didn't take a long time to prepare. They are sure to add some extra sweetness to the thighs and back side. Bake with CAUTION!! And when you have to roll each muffin in butter and coat it with a cinnamon-sugar coating.....I was ready to dig in and eat one after the other. I forced myself to send some away with the hubs to work so I wouldn't eat them all! I did make a few changes to the ORIGINAL recipe to try and tell myself I wouldn't have to count any calories. Like that made a difference. Gym here I come......





French Breakfast Puffs
Printer Friendly

Ingredients:

3 cups flour (I used unbleached all purpose)
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon (the original called for ground nutmeg)
1 cup sugar
2/3 cups shortening (crisco)
2 whole eggs
1 cup milk

Topping:
2/3 cups of sugar
1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 sticks of butter

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 12 muffin cups.
In a large bowl stir together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
In a different bowl, cream together 1 cup sugar and shortening. Then add eggs and mix again. Add flour mixture and milk alternately to creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.
Fill prepared muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
In a bowl, melt butter. In a separate bowl combine remaining sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon. Dip baked muffins in butter, coating thoroughly, then coat with cinnamon-sugar mixture.

Recipe adapted from: The Pioneer Woman
See original recipe HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails